Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Why Versus Why Not

Lots of authors have self-doubts.  Although they love writing, so many wonder internally why anyone would ever buy their books.  They secretly think that maybe they aren’t that good and that a shrewd and discerning public will see right through them and figure them out for the hacks they are.

I really don’t understand this mindset.  I get working to improve/perfect your work, but instead of asking “why,” ask “why not?”  Why wouldn’t the public like your book?  Do you not like it?  I always say that I write stories I want to read, so if I like it, why wouldn’t others.

Of course you shouldn’t be cocky or arrogant about it.  We should always strive to get better.  That doesn’t mean wallowing in self-doubt helps at all.  Shouldn’t you be your own biggest fan?

No comments:

Post a Comment