Thursday, August 19, 2021

Bad To The Bone

There’s a movement within our society, mostly seen in storytelling, that I’ve come to despise.  This movement is fine in real life, when warranted, but takes my enjoyment away from the books I like to read.  That movement is about finding redeeming qualities in villains.

I’ve said in the past that villains should be complex, and almost no realistic villain sees himself or herself as a villain…but that villain should remain a villain.  It saps my enjoyment, especially if the story is told in a series, for a bad guy to suddenly be a good guy.

Look, I get the shock value of it, along with the desire to see good in everyone.  However, I also value consistency in my stories, and wondering who I should be rooting for shouldn’t be shaky.  Finding out later that a villain is someone who can be good changes the way I read earlier stories.  Should that conflict really have been handled in that way?  Could the bad guy have been useful earlier?  It messes with my mind to have to try and figure out such circumstances and jostle my reading loyalties, and I get enough of that in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment