Sunday, August 1, 2021

Writing Classes

I’ve been wondering about whether or not to take a creative writing class.  I love to write, after all, and I know there are some things I can work on.  However, I’ve really wondered at the utility of such a class, especially at my age and proficiency.

Some of this will sound conceited.  It’s not meant that way.  It’s just the observations of someone who has been doing this for a couple of decades.  For starters, I fully recognize that those just beginning this writing journey can definitely benefit from a creative writing class.  I’m certain I could have at the very beginning.  Although I enjoyed writing, and was a little better at it than most of my classmates, I was nowhere near proficient, and every so often a classmate would write something that would show me just how much I had to learn.  Still, I did learn.  It was slow and stumbling in places, but I learned.

The biggest way I learned was through critique and self-awareness.  First off, critiques of my work, hard as they are to hear, are immeasurably helpful.  Getting an outside perspective on what works and doesn’t work can really provide insight into your writing.  The biggest problem with critiques is finding those who are balanced enough to point out what works and what sucks.  Admittedly, those who will tell you what sucks are harder to find than those who will point out the positive.  Most people dislike being mean, especially in person, and since they tend to like you, they don’t want to hurt your feelings.  That doesn’t mean the relentlessly mean aren’t out there, only that they’re more plentiful.  Still, I’ve found enough people who are well balanced, especially after assuring them they weren’t going to hurt my feelings.

My second well of improvement has been through self-awareness.  I consider self-awareness to be a strength of mine.  I know I grate on people at times, but that I can also engender loyalty in some.  I know I’m not patient, but I can be aware enough to force patience when required(like when world building).  It has been this self-awareness that has allowed me to understand just how bad some of my previous writing has been.  My first full length novel was horrific, even though I thought it was great at the time.  Being able to be somewhat objective has shown me just how bad and narrow that book was.

So, to sound conceited, I’ve wondered where a writing class, as opposed to a critique group, would help.  Reading is subjective, so unless you’re putrid, any instructor’s critique will be similarly subjective.  There’s also just differences in writing styles.  I prefer a more familiar style, and my readers tell me they like that, but not every writer agrees.  So would that influence an instructor’s critique?  And would any class clash with my own writing style?

Some will ask, Why not do both?  As much as I’d like that, my time is limited.  I can’t just write full time, no matter how much I want to.  I have a family to take care of, and that requires a full time job where I can write in what little spare time I have.  It also means I have to be discerning about my time, viewing time as a resource, and would a class or critique groups be more productive?  It’s not that I don’t think I can get better, but rather which avenues are best suited to help me realize that.

Perhaps I’ll seek out a class at some point to see how it goes.  It might work out well, in a limited time setting.  It might also be a waste of time.  I’m still thinking through that resource allocation.  Anyone out there been to a creative writing class that may have some insight?

No comments:

Post a Comment