Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Independent Barriers

Even publishing independently, there are barriers to publishing.  Although any idiot with access to a computer and the internet can put out a book nowadays, making it somewhat professional still requires jumping through at least two hoops:  time and money.

Time is a resource we could all use more of, or figure out how to better utilize.  Although some folks can maintain a living writing full time, most are best sellers(or at least have a fairly steady income stream).  Most of us still need to do something else.  Yes, I could probably light a fire under my ass and write more if it was a matter of survival, but in all honesty, I’m a creature of security.  I don’t do well not feeling secure in being able to buy food and shelter, especially with a family to support, so I have a “real life” job.  Of course, that job makes me spend time I’d otherwise use writing so I can make money.  I have to be deliberate with my time, and I have to find it where I can(before work begins, after the kids go to bed, at lunch, etc).  Writing takes time, and that obstacle has to be worked around.

Time, however, can eventually be used.  The next biggest obstacle is money.  Yes, that’s right – money.  True, you could write something in Microsoft Word, upload it to Amazon, and *POOF* you’d have a book, but you’d also come off as the amateur hack you are.  Money is needed for decent covers, editing, setting up the imprint, buying a proof copy, getting ISBNs, and so forth.  Thee things help sell yourself as a professional, and money ain’t free.  Unfortunately, we sometimes need to risk money to possibly make some down the road.  It may not be fun, but it’s the way life and business(remember, writing is a business) are.

Bottom line is that we’ve got to allocate time and save money(at least a little for book #1 to get started…maybe it can become self-sustaining afterwards) to grow as professional writers.  Welcome to the grownup world.

No comments:

Post a Comment