Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Real Places

I just wanted to re-visit a gripe regarding permissions.  I try to put as many “real life” locations in my work as I can because I feel it adds both an element of reality to the work, and it creates a cool set of easter eggs for readers to check out when they search for this stuff online or in person.  Unfortunately, there are restrictions on places you can use.

If it’s a public place, like a park or interstate, then there’s really no issue.  The issue comes when you try to use a private business or private person’s home.  In Akeldama, there was a large midwestern campus I wanted to use as the site for the introduction of the vampires.  Sooner or later, I had to show the coming conflict, and this was an OK place to dally in.  However, when I contacted this university, they said that vampire violence would paint them in a bad light.

As you finish retching over that bit of stupidity, just know that I had the same reaction.  Still, I removed their name and created Generic-College-Campus several hundred miles from the actual location.  It removed the sense of realness, but it made finishing the writing easier since I didn’t have to get permission.  Of course, lots of place did give me permission, like Philippe TheOriginal(which, to my horror, I misspelled in the novel, and although corrected, I’ve been too embarrassed to send them a new copy…I’ll get over that one day), and it adds an element of fun to the story.  Other places have similarly given permission, so check out what’s “real” in my books and what isn’t.

So reality helps add to the story, but bucking those that don’t like their places included isn’t worth the potential legal headaches it could create.  Balance out what you think adds to your story and what is extraneous.

No comments:

Post a Comment