Thursday, November 4, 2021

Is Social Media Worth It?

Social media can be both a benefit and a detriment.  It allows us to keep up with friends and family, and for authors, it allows us to connect with the audience.  Unfortunately, in today’s polarized world, social media can also be a sewer.  Even leaving aside the room for misinterpretation by folks with their own agendas(given how much body language and tone of voice communicate but are left out of the written word), the wrong word or phrase can lead to excommunication from polite society.

Basically, is social media worth it?  I have an author page on Facebook, but not a lot of people engage on it.  I have a Twitter page, but do folks follow Twitter to get announcements, or do they peruse it to find the latest outrage of the day?  I’ve discovered that when folks agree with you, they tend to say little, but when they’re upset, or they’re looking for a fight, they scream and cry like scalded calves.

My life is busy enough.  I do dabble at some marketing, but my time requirements mean I have to pick and choose my spaces.  I haven’t seen much return from social media engagements(most of my new sales come from folks who got a recommendation from a friend, or who read a previous book and wanted to see what else I had out there).  Is climbing into the sewer worth it if all you do is come out dirty?

No comments:

Post a Comment