Sunday, May 2, 2021

Dropping Blogs

As I’ve said before, I like debate.  I want to encourage dissent.  Without those kinds of things, life gets boring(one of my favorite authors even made this point in his book A Call ToArms when the main character was engaging with a newspaper editor, and the editor said, “I like editors and writers who disagree with me.  Keeps things lively.  I don’t know that I’d care for a homogenized world.”).  Take a look at the blogroll to the right, and you’ll see a mish-mash of varying points of view, from Sarah Hoyt to Hugh Howey.  I don’t drop any of them because they may express a point of view I don’t always care for.

That said, I’ve dropped blogs in the past for the way they’ve treated others.  Alternate points of view are fine – and, in fact, welcomed – but don’t get abusive.  A blog I used to enjoy a while back took umbrage at another writer and directed his followers to spam on over and loudly make their displeasure known.  The blog directed against wasn’t even one I was familiar with, but apparently they made an un-PC point, and the blog I used to have on my page thought unleashing the mob would be a good idea.  So yeah, I dropped them like a bad habit.

I’m always on the lookout for good blogs to add to my blogroll, but I’ve also found I have to be careful since so many folks can get abusive quickly in today’s polarized climate.  Encourage discussions; don’t encourage self-righteous mobbings.

No comments:

Post a Comment