Sunday, May 23, 2021

What's Next?

One of the biggest questions in a writer’s life is figuring out what to work on or release next.  As shown on the page detailing the novels I have in progress,/1st draft complete, I’ve written a fair number that have yet to see the light of day.  This is universally because they’re not ready and require extensive re-writes since I haven’t completed a fresh novel recently.

However, I’ve begin writing a new novel that I’ve mentioned previously, and I’m more excited about it than I am about wading back into the stuff that still needs work.  I find myself wondering if that’s a normal part of being an author, or if most folks are more disciplined than I and can focus on what they’ve already written before being drawn into a new project.

So that’s my struggle – rework what I’ve already written so I can release it, or concentrate on this new novel which, while still forming(and looking like it may be Game of Thrones lengthy), has me more excited than any other idea in a few years.  My gut is telling me to stay on what I’ve started working on since it’ll gnaw at me if I stop to focus on less thrilling(at the moment) projects.  Given how challenging it can be to break the inertia of rework, it seems certain that at least finishing this new novel(still unnamed) is the most likely course of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment