Thursday, May 27, 2021

Title Discovery

I know I’ve written on this before, but one of the most challenging aspects of writing a novel is figuring out what the title should be.  Sometimes I’ve gone in with a decent idea what the title should be, but that’s the exception rather than the rule.  Most of the time the novel is long past the writing process before I can figure something out.

I’m running into that right now regarding my newest novel.  As a reminder, it’s a sci-fi/fantasy mashup where a starship from Earth(far in the future) goes to find a colony world and discovers a world populated by humans, elves, dwarves, and an assortment of monsters, all run by magic.  A title should capture the essence of a story, but how to fit everything into the title so it is still enticing without being cumbersome.  Basically, be enough of a tease to draw folks in without giving away the store.

Titles also create attention as a marketing tool, so they have to be created in accordance with the desire to attract new readers.  I’m hoping that sci-fi and fantasy fans will want to come along, so how do I package that?  I’m sure I’ll spend the next year or more(the timeline I think it will take to write given my current pace) figuring that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment