Thursday, July 7, 2022

Over the Head?

This will sound snotty, but I’ve been wondering recently if it’s possible to talk above the audience’s head. Sure, we all get that doing that with regard to kids is necessary if your books are for adults(ie, no four year old is going to get why my main character needed to burn down the village, or what the word erudite means). But what happens when that applies to more than that slice of the public?  

I guess the main question is whether or not we’re targeting a set of specific people, or if we’re excising most of the public. Admittedly, some of my concepts are not for most folks. They take discernment(don’t all authors think that about their work?) and a smattering of education. Perhaps that’s limiting, but I’m not sure how to tell the stories I want to tell without doing that.

In order to avoid a mental breakdown on my part, I’ve decided I have to go ahead with allowing for my arrogance. Some will appreciate my work. Some will think me an effete snob. I think it’s a matter of coming to terms with my own style. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment