Thursday, September 23, 2021

New Novels Or Sequels?

Now that I’ve got a few novels under my belt, the biggest dilemma I encounter in my next writing project is whether to write a new story or continue a series I’m already engaged in.

I have several new story ideas I would like to get out – a different take on the “master alien race” theme, a sci-fi/fantasy mashup, and a whole new direction on apocalyptic fiction.  I think each of these stories are interesting and could generate interest from the audience.  However, I also have at least two stories that need a sequel(Salvation Day and Akeldama), and I know the basics of how these are supposed to flow.  I’ve even started a few pages.

It can create a type of paralysis to be stuck between these two worlds.  On one hand, readers have asked about when the next chapter in these two novels will be out, so they’re invested in the characters.  On the other hand, although I love both of these novels, neither has sold very well, so searching out my next big seller, ala Schism, may be a better use of my time.

Of course, I could solve all of this easily is I simply wrote faster…

No comments:

Post a Comment