Thursday, May 4, 2023

James RR Martin Writing Timeframes

I know that the title may well be insulting to both the Game of Thrones audience and one of the most talented writers of the last 25 years, but it’s the only thing that fits.  Folks, my sci-fi/fantasy mashup has become a drawn out cycle of nothingness.  I’d like to be able to tell you that since I started writing my blog posts within the first week of each month, I’ve been free to write happily on my newest novel in the interim, but that’s just not the case.

I started writing this new novel almost three years ago.  Were I crafting it this whole time, subtly changing plot points and carefully crafting nuanced dialogue, it might be worth it.  Unfortunately, all that’s really happened is that I’ve found myself too busy to get back into it.  Oh, I could easily do 1000 or so words a day, but as I’ve previously discussed, breaking the inertia and just freaking writing the damn thing is tough.  Those who aren’t writers may never know just how difficult it is to pull yourself out of a task, start writing, and push through the first 100 words or so until you’re in a rhythm…and then to have to stop because you can’t write a novel all in one day, so you have top go through it again the next day.  It's like trying to take a nap each day and having it cut short because you have other things to do.

So my mashup novel, great if it ever gets finished, has just sat there longer than any novel I’ve yet worked on.  It also reminded me that I haven’t written anything of bulk since I retired from the Army.  Even Schism was mostly written, needing only a few thousand more words to get fully flushed out prior to publication.  But this one?  It feels like a slog.  I enjoy it when I’m writing it, but getting back after a long break is exhausting.

So will I be more and more like James RR Martin, who promised The Winds of Winter eons ago and keeps pushing back its publication?  I hope not, because I despise Martin for that.  Of course, what could help is a groundswell that demands I write it so I could get properly motivated…  😊

No comments:

Post a Comment