Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Dropping Books

Time is valuable.  That's the premise with which I approach books - if they hold no interest for me, then I don't need to waste time reading them.  However, what happens when a book originally held your interest but no longer does?  Has anyone here ever abandoned a book partway through, or have you trudged on through to the end?

I've had a few books that create that conundrum for me, such as Ready Player Two.  I absolutely loved Ready Player One and consider it a masterpiece of nostalgia and fantasy-fulfillment.  So I approached Ready Player Two with enthusiasm.  Unfortunately, the novel has left me...underwhelmed.

I'm about two-thirds of the way through, but I haven't touched it iun months.  It still sits, bookmark in trhe middle, on my reading table upstairs.  Part of me wants to just finish because I've spent so much time on it, but another part of me knows this is the sunk-cost fallacy.  That is that I've already spent time and money, so I should spend more to finish.  Logically, however, all you're doing is just giving even more than you should based on some tired investment trope.

I've read a few novels under this premise, and I need to stop.  If a book isn't enjoyable, then it makes future reading more of a chore, and my time is too valuable for that.  Any of you run into this?

No comments:

Post a Comment