Sunday, March 5, 2023

Book Progress - Return Of The Outline...

As stated previously, I’ve begun to write on my sci-fi/fantasy mashup novel recently.  Unfortunately, it had been so long since I put in a concerted effort, that I had to remember how to write.

By that I mean that although I remembered my place, I had no outline to go off of, and I’d even forgotten its utility for a minute or three.  When I returned to where I was in the novel, I tried remembering the path forward(ie, what was I meaning to come next?) and promptly hit a wall.  That’s when I recalled I’d used an outline prior to remind me of the path I wanted to travel.  So I went to look back at the outline, and know what I found?

Disappointment.

There was no outline waiting for me to pick up off of, so I had to pick it up again.  I re-read my novel – highly recommended if you leave it alone for long periods of time – and sat back down to enjoy the movie in my head, jotting notes along the way.  Once I resolved the scene I was on, I returned to writing and found it to be as exhilarating as I recalled.

When last we left our heroes, adventurers from Far-future Earth had been captured by natives of the planet they’d once hoped to colonize, and these natives were looking to use them as bargaining chips in the world’s internal politics.  Therefore, Super-Advanced Fleet sent down a rescue mission using technology the natives don’t recognize.  The results turn out about as you’d expect, but they only rescued most of their comrades, while one more went to another global player for political gain.  Additionally, Super-Adventurers left behind a rather large piece of technology, and our natives are going to fight over its retrieval with magic and mystical beasts.  Intrigue to ensue.

I’m trying to write about 750-1000 words a day, but I haven’t hit that every day yet.  And I still get distracted by other internet-related things, like movie trailers and commentary I like, but I’ve been more fastidious than I’ve been for the past year.  The trick is to focus and not let internet-related things consume your limited free time.  It’s real easy to get distracted by shiny objects, so you need to wear blinders.

We’ll see where this story goes, but now that I’m back into the swing of things, I’m excited about it.  However, much like a marriage, I need to stay on top of it or interest and excitement will rapidly wane.

No comments:

Post a Comment