Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Rules Unrevealed

There’s an old saying when writing – show, don’t tell.  It’s an aphorism for painting a vivid enough picture that the reader can picture what you’re trying to tell him or her without spelling it out in excruciating detail.  It is meant to engage the imagination and allow for discovery.

This is a scenario I’m playing out with regards to my newest novel.  This novel is a sci-fi/fantasy mashup.  Part of fantasy is magic, but magic needs rules or else it can simply be an easy out for an author looking to resolve a situation.  Therefore I’ve written ten rules for the use of magic, and the storyline must be consistent with these rules.

However, I don’t plan to just list out these rules for the audience.  What I want is for the reader to figure out these rules along the way.  I believe it adds a bit of mystery while also providing a framework around which to build the story.  I’m honestly curious how many readers will pick out the rules, and if they’ll be able to get all of them.  Also, since writing can produce surprises in narrative, will readers discover unintentional rules of magic I write into the story without realizing it.

What do you think?  Is it more fun to discover implied elements as you read, or does that distract from enjoyment of the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment