Thursday, January 14, 2021

Slow Typing

I can be impatient at times.  Like most people – more than will admit – I want to get to the end and have something I can be proud of.  This is especially frustrating when I’m writing.

Great stories take time to develop, but once I know what I want to say, I want to get it on paper as quickly as possible.  Unfortunately, I can only write so fast.  Yes, I write pretty quickly(between 50-60 words a minute), but there is so much story to get out that it feels as if I’m typing with molasses on my fingers.  This leads to me being incredibly frustrated when I want to put a new story on paper.

It can also hold me back, because it feels like there is so much to write, and I can only type so fast.  The story takes forever to develop.  However, maybe that’s a good thing.  Maybe it’s teaching me patience that I need.

(a side note – no, I won’t do talk to text…that eliminates the visceral feel of writing for me)

In the end, it’s about focus and patience, and that’s hard.  It’s hard for all of us.  Someday some smart computer will be able to directly download my thoughts into paper, but until then, I’ll simply have to deal with a great story being in my head and waiting to get out, but being unable to due to the physical limitations of the universe.  Maybe we should look into a way to fix that…

No comments:

Post a Comment