Tuesday, January 26, 2021

2nd Readings

I read books several times if I enjoy them.  In fairness, I rarely finish a book I dislike, but I’ll read one that’s good over and over again.  What I’ve found, especially if that second or third reading doesn’t happen for a while, is that I gain a greater level of comprehension than I did the first time.

A first reading is a rollercoaster ride of jumbled emotions and unpredictable twists.  Since I don’t know what’s going to happen, I find myself a little more on edge, and that means I miss stuff.  However, when I already know the basic outline of a story, I feel able to relax a little more and appreciate what I missed the first time.

I rediscovered this with Heir To The Empire.  I love Tim Zahn’s Thrawn Trilogy, but I hadn’t read any of it in more than a decade.  I picked it up again on a whim while waiting for something to arrive at my house, and I found myself enthralled again.  Yet this time I picked up on nuances I failed to notice previously.  I could better imagine the crypt on Wayland and the guards who shot at Thrawn.  And better seeing the meeting between Talon Karrde and Mara Jade came off easier in my mind(I’d overlooked completely it was a dinner meeting).  Seeing those things was a reminder that stories shouldn’t die once they’re over the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment