Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Books and Bookshelves

I’ve written in the past about my love more for physical books than ebooks.  However, physical books take up physical space, and physical space is limited.

Yet I’ve recently been able to more than double my bookshelf space.  I moved with my family to Tennessee last year, and I’ve needed to update my office furniture.  Unfortunately, what I wanted was expensive, so I’ve only recently been able to afford it.  Yet now that I’ve got it, it is wonderous.

I was able to organize my collection by author and subject matter – a great thing for an OCD freak like myself – and I discovered I had TONS of extra space.  It helped that I had to throw out some books from when I lived in Kansas in order to meet the weight requirements for the moving company, but I still suspected my shelves would be more full than they ended up being.

This means I can get some more physical books, which will provide me with a more visceral reading experience.  I still plan to be discerning with what I buy in physical form, both for expense and to not fill up too quickly, but I’m excited that while my library looks formidable, it’s not complete.  I can put more on my shelves, possibly a lot more than I once did because the shelves are larger and deeper, and there are more of them.

The big worry will come once these shelves get full…

No comments:

Post a Comment