Thursday, September 24, 2020

Multiple Reads

When I find a book I enjoy, I’ll go back and read it time and time again.  The reason is that while I enjoyed it the first time, and the unknown nature of what I was reading is exciting, reading something a second, third, and fourth time is like returning to your childhood home and finding stuff you overlooked the first time.

The places most of us grew up in are familiar to us.  We feel safe.  That doesn’t mean we know them completely, so finding new things in a safe environment is comforting and provides its own excitement.  I’m currently re-reading Doctor Sleep, and I’m finding stuff I missed the first time.  I loved The Shining, so naturally I gravitated towards its sequel.  Although I found Doctor Sleep to be a fun read, it didn’t have the greatness of The Shining.  However, going through again has let me immerse myself more in the world and appreciate it in greater detail.

I wonder how alone I am in such an appreciation.  How many of you re-read your favorites over and over again?  Is it for new discovery or the safety of familiarity?

No comments:

Post a Comment