Tuesday, September 29, 2020

On To Homecoming!

Now that Schism has been published, it’s time to start moving forward on my next(last?) published novel, HomecomingHomecoming is my first real sci-fi novel to be published, which is weird for me because when I was a kid, that’s all I read for enjoyment.  In fact, one of the main reasons I started writing in the first place was to write science fiction.

I’m still a ways off from publishing(2021?).  I’m not even to finding a cover yet.  First, I have to rebuild my cash reserves since publishing can be expensive unless sales exceed expenses(hint, hint – buy my books and reduce that for me 😊 ).  I also need to conduct a final edit myself before looking for an outside editor(truth be told, I’ll likely seek out the same editor I used for Wrongful Death).  There are a few mistakes in Schism that have to be corrected and resubmitted – a genuine pain in the ass – but since it’s a more conventional novel, I need a more conventional editor.

Of course, when I say “conventional,” I mean conventional from a grammar and spelling standpoint.  Homecoming itself is anything but convention – I wrote it in a journal format.  It tells the story of humanity returning to Earth several thousand years after being forced off by a genocidal alien race, and it does so from the point of view of a historian chronicling events for the record.  It’s not something I’ve ever tried before, but I’ve seen it in action and wanted to give it a go.  I think it makes a more run-of-the-mill story stand out a bit more.

I’ll keep folks updated as I move ahead.  I don’t have a definitive publication date yet, and I’m wondering how to handle that.  Regardless, it may be my last publication unless I can earn more money.  No, I won’t stop writing, but I’ve got to have enough money to do wacky things like pay my mortgage.

But that’s for later.  For now, the next novel publication awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment