Sunday, August 30, 2020

An Audience Of One?


I’ve often been told to write for an audience of one, meaning that I need to write stories I enjoy reading and forget trying to please others.  Sounds great, right?  But is it realistic?

To be up front, I write what I want.  I’ve often said that reading tastes are subjective, so one person’s thoughts or criticisms mean little in the grand scope.  What I pay attention to are trends.  Still, doesn’t that mean I’m writing for more than just me?

Without someone else to read my work, it becomes little more than a hobby for me.  As brilliant as I am, I know that my writing can always be improved, which is why I’ll see if there is a trend in criticism that sparks a change or edit.  Again, though, that shows that it’s not all about writing the story just for me.  It can be about 75% for me, but audience input is important to create a better story.

That’s part of the point though, isn’t it?  We’re looking to get better as writers, and self-criticism is often limited.  Fresh perspectives allow us to grow beyond what we’re capable of by ourselves.  Think about it – if you only played basketball by yourself, without a coach, could you really get your jump shot where it needs to be?  It’s on you to shoot the ball, but others can see things in your shot that maybe you missed.

So write the stories you want to write, but know that, just possibly, you’re writing for more than yourself, and accept that.  It’s still enjoyable, and it creates room for growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment