Thursday, August 6, 2020

Rising Prices


Some may have noticed that my most recent book, Schism, has a higher price than my other books.  That’s because it’s much larger than my other books and costs more money to print.  Were I to charge what I did for Wrongful Death - $14.95 – I would literally lose money with each printing(Ingram Spark won’t even let you do this).  Plus, I still need something of a profit margin so that sales tax and income tax doesn’t eat all of my labor.

I also upcharged the ebook since it was also larger and cost more to produce with my formatter.  Plus, and I know this sounds self-serving, but people tend to notice glaring differences in prices.  If the print book is $18.95 and the ebook is $2.99, they’ll wonder what the hell is creating the difference.  By charging a couple of bucks more, I maintain the illusion of equality but keep it low enough to (hopefully) get folks to take a look.

The market drives everything.  Much as I love to write, it’s not just about getting my work out there; it’s about also (hopefully) making some in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment