Sunday, August 9, 2020

Social Media Distractions


Social media can be a valuable tool.  It can help us market our work, stay in touch with friends, and allow us to express ourselves.  Unfortunately, it can also be a HUGE distraction.

In addition to publishing a new book, I’m also trying to stay ahead on blog posts and start a new novel.  Yet I find myself checking Facebook much more often than I think is healthy.  I’ll get into a discussion, and I just have to go back time and time again to see if anyone has yet responded.  Whether it’s about masks, or the election, or which football team is poised to win it all, I sometimes find myself glued in ways I shouldn’t.

It’s akin to an addiction, and like most addictions, it both takes up an inordinate amount of time and isn’t healthy for the mind.  I need to scale back, but that’s easier said than done.  On the few occasions I am able to dislodge and write, I feel better, but like a junkie looking for his next high, that rarely lasts long.  I keep saying, “Just a few minutes,” and it turns into an hour or more.  Not productive to the writing process.

Plus, writing is hard.  Not as hard as creating a new vaccine or building a software database, but it still requires strength.  One of the allures of social media is how little intellect or energy it requires to get hooked and keep looking at it.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to better manage the habit?

No comments:

Post a Comment