Wednesday, August 1, 2018

You Are Not Special

So many people, when they hear I have a few novels out, ask me what it's like to be rich.  Of course I'm rich, they think, because I've published books, just like Stephen King and JK Rowling.  I have to patiently explain that most writers don't sell many copies, and that it takes a break of some kind to get the kind of notoriety that Rowling and King get.

Unfortunately, lots of writers also have the idea that once they publish something, the world will be their oyster.  Far too many expect that readers will simply find their work and buy millions of copies so that the writer can retire to some Caribbean island.  I hate to break it to those of you who believe this, but that's nowhere close to the truth.

Yes, occasionally you can capture lightning in a bottle, but that's exceptionally rare.  What the vast majority of success takes is lots of hard work and a great deal of luck(although I've discovered that the harder I work, the luckier I seem to get).  You have to market yourself, enter contests, make connection, and so on.  There are literally thousands of books published every single day, and thinking that yours will stand out just because you wrote it and you know it's brilliant is not planning - it's fantasy.

I recently spoke to a fairly successful writer and asked for some advice.  Yes, I have a marketing degree, but the particulars of the writing market are coming slowly.  He gave me some great advice that I plan to implement shortly, and I'm trying to get noticed in a few other ways with folks who have access to greater publicity.  On top of my "day job," that can be exhausting.  However, it's worth it.  Regardless of whether I become uber-successful - which I, of course, still hope to become - I love writing and hearing from those who enjoy my work.  If I didn't love it, it would be too much of a grind.

But you have to love it, and you have to work hard.  Most of us aren't famous, where we can write something and people will gravitate towards it based off of our name(that comes after initial success, when that success becomes self-sustaining).  We may think we're special, and our friends and family may have told us we have great skill, but that will not get us an audience.  So stop sitting around waiting for breaks to come your way just because you feel you deserve them - go out and work so you earn them.  Otherwise...you can always write down your fantasy - maybe it'll make a nice book.

No comments:

Post a Comment