Thursday, February 23, 2023

Grammar For Effect

I use an editor before publishing my novels.  I think any writer with a brain uses one, not only for content suggestions, but to make sure you are writing coherently.  Don't try to proofread your own work, because you'll inevitably miss stuff.  Even if you think you're the world's greatest writer(you aren't), you will miss stuff in the proofread.  I've tried it, and it didn't ever work out.

That said, there are times either I intentionally used incorrect grammar to accentuate someone's character, or I felt like the way I wrote it initially was better.  You see, when I write, I prefer for the audience to have an easy read, and formal grammar doesn't always provide that.  I'm much more into a conversational style, and while that may horrify established authors and editors alike, I don't write for them - I write for people in the masses to enjoy, and most people don't like uptight, stick-up-your-ass grammar.

Obviously don't do stupid stuff, like forget apostrophes(unless it's in a written note from a character who is known for poor writing), but a more colloquial form of communication can often gain a better effect.  It helps flow and maintains reader interest.  Some of my issues with "the classics" are that they're too formal.  Yes, I'm a heretic for even mentioning this, but style and flow matter a great deal to the reader.  A hard to read book is usually one that isn't read.

So, yes, sometimes you need to dangle those participles or split those infinitives.  Maybe not all the time, but if they conform to real-world speech, then not only do I see no problem with it, I heartily endorse such a thing.  After all, you want people to read your work, and not-perfect grammar can sometimes help with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment