Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Obscure Finds


I know some readers think we writers plan out every element of a series we bring out.  Some writers do; most don’t.  Sure, we have some vague idea of an overall arc if there’s a series we want to write, but we aren’t organized enough to intricately lay out all of our plans(usually).  The reason this is important is due to obscure hints and references we drop along the way.

In writing Salvation Day, I very deliberately dropped in obscure hints that most people only picked up on in retrospect.  However, in planning out the sequel, where Mike Faulkner descends into Hell to try and rescue his wife, I’ll have to reference my original novel to see if I can use something originally thought of as a throwaway as some kind of clever foreshadowing.  I did leave a few things in the hope I could eventually use something – the realm of Limbo comes to mind – but much of that may simply be wasted as nothing extraordinary comes from them.

In other words, readers are usually very clever when they link together these disparate pieces.  That doesn’t mean the writer was as clever in creating them.  Even within a novel itself, sometimes a writer just got lucky to remember a piece from earlier that fit rather than planning out the storyline.  I wish we were that smart, and we sometimes are, but don’t let the mystery become reality when it’s not always warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment