Thursday, July 2, 2020

New Book Project


Just to let everyone know, I’ve started work on a new project.  This one is a sci-fi/fantasy mashup that has only just begun to take shape.  I got inspired one day when I heard someone talking about using magic and science together, and I started wondering what would happen if a science fiction world encountered one where magic was real.  What would be the reasons?  How would their interactions be affected?  Why would the two worlds even collide?

I started playing out a scenario in my brain, and I decided to start from a sci-fi vantagepoint at first since I’m much more familiar with that genre(my reading list of fantasy isn’t real long).  So why would my sci-fi folks be traveling to a new world, and why hadn’t they already encountered this kind of stuff?  Then, I started figuring out what the magic world looked like(drawing a map and getting out the colored pencils for the various factions involved was fun).  Now I’m working through an outline of the conflict – why does it matter that the sci-fi ship showed up?  Does their presence mean something in particular to a specific problem of the magic world?

I still have a very long way to go(I’ve written a page and a half right now just to get me started), but it’s exciting.  Ask any writer, and it’s always exciting to start something new.  The key is to have the patience to develop it right as opposed to just vomiting out stuff so I can OMG GET TO THE END AS SOON AS I CAN!!!  That’s where I’ll struggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment