Thursday, February 9, 2023

Sitting Around Not Writing

I'm hoping to be back into my newest novel by the time you read this, but as an interviewee of mine once told me, one of the things writers do best is not write.  We daydream, we explore, and we find lots of excuses not to write.  Sometimes we're burned out; other times we truly became immersed in something else.  For me, it's finding enough ways to break the inertia and get back into the groove.

Getting into that groove is harder than people think.  As I've said before, the first 50-100 words on a new day of writing are the hardest.  I have to remember where I was and what the flow was like.  It goes in fits and starts, but once past about 100 words, it starts flowing well again, much like an unclogged pipe.

It doesn't help that I took such a long break before starting up again.  I need to remember that's a bad idea and do at least 500 words a day just so I don't get rusty.  Remember, once you go a day without writing, it becomes easier to go the next day(or 50) without writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment