Sunday, February 26, 2023

Losing Writer Friends

Having been out of the blogging game for a while, I don't seem to have as many writer friends as I once did.  I get it - when you stop going to the bar, the usual crowd forgets you.  I used to interact with lots of other blogs, but that just hasn't happened recently, and I sometimes miss the back and forth.  I can fix this through engagement, but that takes time to rebuild.

However, I've also lost a few writer friends for other reasons, ones I make no apology for.  I abandoned one blog when the blogger decided to try and publicly shame someone for an issue they disagreed with in a private message.  I don't tolerate that kind of pettiness, so I dropped them and won't go back.  I've also argued with a couple of bloggers over stuff, some grand and some blasé.  I'd be happy to re-engage - I wasn't the one who cut off contact - but I don't grovel to anyone or beg anyone to be my friend, so unless they make a move, that relationship is gone forever.

Still, I've made more writer friends than those I've lost, and they more closely align to my personal style, story interests, and personal beliefs(the latter I don't do intentionally, but people do tend to drift towards like-minded folks, and although I make effort to talk to everyone, sometimes commonality makes for greater steadfastness).  Maybe that's not writing or blog engagement; maybe that's just life.

No comments:

Post a Comment