Tuesday, January 24, 2023

How It All Ends...

Am I the only writer who goes into a story not knowing how it ends?  Lots of my friends are meticulous plotters who have it planned out to the gnat's ass detail, but I think that not only does that remove the fun from writing, but it also is impractical for how a story evolves as you write it.

That said, it can be daunting when you start a story without knowing where it's headed.  I've known a few of my novels and where they were meant to go(Salvation Day, Akeldama), but more than a few have begun without me knowing what the end point is.  It can be fun, but it also has the potential to wander until I find an ending.

What's better - knowing, or not knowing.  Or is that too black-and-white, and the answer is a vague idea that coalesces over time?  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment