Sunday, January 1, 2023

A New Year...

I’m going to try again, and, honestly, the only reason I can do this now is I have a little time on my hands.  I’ve set this for the start of the New Year in the hopes I can get some momentum going to both blog more often and get back into writing.

Writing can produce a form of paralysis.  Trying to meet the goal of three blog posts per week is tough enough, but to try to do that and continue writing on the new novel I’ve been promising everyone forever can be quite the organizational task.  When I’m working on one, I feel guilty that I’m not on the other.  I also find myself wanting to get back to my blog so people can stay current, only to find I have nothing new to offer them in the form of a new book.  The circular madness of it all can make your head spin.

I say “new novel,” but that’s a bit of a misnomer.  I started writing it more than two years ago and haven’t done anything in the last several months.  Part of it is that I have to find a way to keep the story from meandering – it’s a long novel, and the potential for said meandering is high – and part of it is an addiction to YouTube videos and social media when I actually do have time.  Writing makes my brain work, and watching a video of cats on a merry-go-round doesn’t.

So bear with me this year.  We’ll see how January goes, and if I can find time to write February’s blogs before February arrives.  In the interim, I need to restart my newest novel, which, if I can do it right, is my most ambitious to date.  There will be stops and starts along the way – look who you’re talking to – but I will do my best to get back into things.  Let’s see if life cooperates.

No comments:

Post a Comment