Thursday, April 23, 2020

Old And Comfortable Versus New And Unknown

Hopefully most of you like to read as much as I do.  I usually have a book by my chair in our family room so that when my daughters are watching Spongebob or something else I care little about, I can pick it up and read.  However, what to read is the issue.

I’ve begun to notice that I’m trying fewer and fewer new books.  Instead, I’m re-reading ones I’ve enjoyed over the years, from Harry Potter to Tim Zahn’s Heir to the EmpireTrilogy to Harry Turtledove’s Guns of the South.  Yes, I’ve read each several times – a few of them a dozen or more – but I’ve found them comforting, like a bowl of mac-and-cheese or an old blanket.

But that’s also limiting.  There are good books out there, yet I’m not expanding out to read them.  Part of it is that I tend to like that which I’ve already enjoyed.  And since I already know I enjoyed it, I know I’ll continue to enjoy it.  I mean, it’s not like I go back and read books I hated(Moby Dick hasn’t been in my hands since 11th grade).  Part of it, tying back into that monstrosity of Moby Dick(or The Scarlet Letter, or The Great Gatsby, or any one of a hundred other books I trudged my way through but thoroughly despised) is fear of the unknown.  Will I be wasting my time?  What if I start to read it and it turns out to be garbage?

Yes, these are silly fears, but they’re real.  I’m pretty conservative about what books I pick up, and breaking my inertia to find something new takes real effort.  I know I should just get over myself and pick up something, but getting there isn’t as easy as it may sound.  It’s hard for something to grab my attention and keep it, which is the key part of a novel.  Shoot, there are even several books on my bookshelf(or packed away in boxes…I’m still unpacking from my recent move to Tennessee) that I haven’t yet gotten around to.  They looked great on the bookstore shelf, but I never got around to picking them up for a thorough read.

How do you tackle new books, or do you tend to do what I do and re-read books you’ve always liked?  Is there something that gets you motivated to try something new?

No comments:

Post a Comment