Sunday, April 12, 2020

Courting Controversy

I have a writing buddy who intentionally courts controversy.  He talks boisterously about a wide variety of controversial topics in an effort to draw more people to his page and his books.  It seems to work for him, for while he’s widely reviled by many much more prominent authors(and their fan bases), he makes enough money from those that take his side that he’s fine.

This has not ever been my model.  With friends, I can be just as boisterous(or even more so), and I love a good debate as much as the next person, but I’ve never liked this model.  Talking about controversial topics in today’s polarized climate risks alienating at least half the audience before they ever buy your work.  No less than Michael Jordan recognized this in 1990 when he refused to endorse someone for the NC senate race, noting that those on the other side also bought shoes.

Still, there’s something to be said for the approach.  It’s brash, and mostly intentional, on the part of some people(like my friend).  He calculates that he makes more money by being controversial because it creates people sympathetic to him(or just opposed to those on the other side), thus creating more potential sales.  It has worked out(mostly) for him so far, but the risks here are huge, in my opinion.  After all, today’s ideological ally is tomorrow’s villain that needs cancelling.

Of course, he has more sales than I do, so what do I know?  Maybe he and a few others are onto more winning strategies.  I look at the backlash that occurs every time someone like Stephen King or Larry Correia makes a controversial statement, and I wonder if it’s worth it.  At the same time, both of those guys are bestsellers who can afford to be more open with the audience.

Maybe it’s a principle thing with me.  I’m not hiding who I am, but I also know that most folks who read don’t want to be preached at by either side.  Books are an escape from the screech-fest we see in our everyday lives.  That’s one of the reason so many folks despise athletes and actors and other famous people talking about politics – we didn’t come to you for our politics; we came to be entertained.

What are your thoughts?  Is courting controversy something a writer should do(outside of what he or she writes)?  Is the surge in sales worth the venom from those who might otherwise enjoy your book?  Some will try to “cancel” those they dislike through social shaming and a barrage of bad reviews, but that can lead to some rushing to defense, increasing views(and potential sales).  Is the warmth worth the fire?

No comments:

Post a Comment