Thursday, February 27, 2014

Overblogging

I've had several people ask me if one can blog too much.  They don't mean that it's a bad thing to keep readers informed, but rather that blogging seems, sometimes, to get in the way of writing.  Upon examination, I can relate.


Everyone who reads this blog regularly - all four of you - knows that I pride myself on the consistency of updating with fresh material.  I rarely miss a post because I feel that staying on top of things keeps people coming back.  Unfortunately, I'm not always so steadfast with my writing.


I've been working on Onyx for over a month now, yet I've only completed three chapters.  I seem to find excuses to not write(need family time, work deadlines are on top of me, etc.), but I don't miss blogging deadlines.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why, for that seems a bit ass-backwards to me.


Writing novels and stories is the lifeblood of what will keep my ship afloat.  Given the amount of work I plan to put into this venture once publishing begins in May of 2016, I'll need to have a decent number of books ready to go so that I can focus on marketing for a bit and not worry about the next novel.  So if I'm blogging more than I'm writing, that doesn't advance my goal.


Don't get me wrong - I love blogging.  I just wonder what it is that keeps me on top of this blog and not on top of writing more books.  Is it the rush of a deadline?  Could it be that I get real time feedback on a blog post?  Whatever it is, I need to find a way to harness that energy and apply it to writing books at least as much as I do to posting a blog.


I'll continue searching for answers and getting more into my next work.  Balancing this blog and my next novel is important...I just don't have a feel for accomplishing it.  If you have any tips, please share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment