Sunday, February 2, 2014

Staying In Touch

Once again, I've been a slacker.  I've constantly harped to anyone who will listen that writing isn't just a fun hobby, but rather a business.  You have to treat it as such if you want to be successful, and that includes a marketing campaign to spread the word.  I just wish I more steadfastly held to my own advice.

I'm planning the release of Akeldama for sometime in May of 2016.  I've begun building an email list for those intrerested in getting a copy at that point, and I even sent out an introductory newsletter giving them a few details.  However, it's been over a year since I did so.

That fact struck me at lunch last week.  I was eating pizza on a business trip with an old acquaintence when he asked me, "What ever happened to your book?  I was really looking forward to reading it."

That was when I realized that I've dropped off the radar screen in most folks' lives, at least when it comes to my book.  I've given no further updates outside of this blog, so a great number of people likely assume that nothing ever came of it.  Therefore, I have to change that.

Joe Peacock kept his most recent book under wraps for a while, but he always kept his readers informed as to progress.  Joe had a few things go on in his life that delayed publication, but he didn't want the audience to think he'd forgotten about them.  He sent out updates every few months to let them know what was going on, and I suppose it's time I did the same.  So my next update will go out this week.

It's easy to get caught up in our own lives, but we have to remember that our readers have lives as well.  If we ignore them, they'll think we have nothing and will move on.  That's not something we can afford to do with a loyal reader if we ever want to succeed in this business.  I have failed in that regard, but I will correct it immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment