Sunday, August 14, 2022

Be Cool

People are people.  Some have greater station in life, but that doesn’t make them people any less.  I bring this up because I’ve seen many of my peers swoon over meeting their favorite writers(I’ve seen similar in other areas regarding folks and film celebrities).  Not only does this response make you seem needy, but it also tends to weird out the person being so fawned upon…unless they’re a complete narcissist, in which case maybe they’re not the kind of person you should be hanging out with anyway(and yes, lots of celebrities are narcissists).

 

I’m not going to claim I’ve always been so blasé about this.  I’ve met a few famous folks(my first being when I was eight and got to meet my favorite soccer player), and I still slip, but I’ve tried remembering that they are no more or less than I.  This helps open up doors and keep me grounded.  I can have a no-shit conversation and not look like a total stalker(hopefully).

 

That doesn’t always dampen the awe, but it should keep it under control.  And as familiarity increases, the glow of fame and status should continue to fade in favor of mutual admiration and discussion.  They are people just like you – they’ve just managed to have more people know who they are.  Perhaps they’ve sold better or written something culture-shattering, and maybe their experience has given them greater current ability, but don’t let that frighten you.  Talk to them like they’re human.  If they demand genuflection, they aren’t worth knowing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment