Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Staying Ahead...And Why

I think I’ve said in the past that it’s challenging to stay ahead on this blog.  I want to be able to give three new posts a week, but life gets in the way, and if I don’t stay ahead, I’ll bump up against a deadline and either forgo a post or write a shitty one.  As an aside, I wrote this particular post more than a month in advance and scheduled it(along with a lot of other posts).

That said, I did this originally so that not only could I not miss posts(or have real shitty ones), but so that I could write.  I mean actually write, as in novels in my head.  Unfortunately, I’m not really doing that.

I haven’t written an original novel since I started publishing.  I wrote five that are essentially “finished” enough to edit and publish, as well as another four that require rewrites to be ready, but I haven’t done anything new.  I want to overcome that.  For example, I have an idea for a sci-fi/fantasy mashup, and I even wrote a whole page, but I haven’t done anything beyond that.  No outlining, no plot development…nothing.

So this post is basically a long rant that I need to get off my ass and write.  I should be ahead enough to write on my new idea now.  But I still wonder if writing a novel is more important, or trying to stay connected to the folks who buy my books is more important.  I’d appreciate any insight you may have.

No comments:

Post a Comment