Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Plot Versus Character


What means more, plot or character?

In an ideal world, they’d balance each other out, but let’s face it – the world isn’t ideal.  If it was, I’d be 6’5”, with a body like a Greek god and athletic skills that currently elude my 5’8” frame.  Which means that I often tend to lean on one more than the other.  And that side is usually plot.

I admit, I’m much more into story than people.  Maybe it’s because I envision myself in most stories, but I want to know what will happen, and someone self-reflecting too much or working on hobbies extraneous to the story rarely interests me.  The only time I really spent time on a particular character was in Salvation Day, and that was because of the personal elements of the story rather than anything I mapped out.

Or it could be that I don’t get to know people all that well in my personal life.  I’m just too Sheldonian.  People are fascinating, but where they’re going interests me far more.  I’ve never been one for idle chit chat, and I’m usually the guy who arrives at the party waiting for an excuse to leave, so I don’t get to know many people well.  I’d rather someone tell me an adventure he or she was on rather than tell me about their upbringing.  I know that sounds cold, but that’s simply the way my personality works.  What about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment