Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Re-reading Old Favorites

I'm weird.  Yeah, I know that's not exactly a revelation, but I wonder if others share some of my quirks.  For example, I go back and re-read my favorite books several times.  I know people often re-read what they like, but I go back and back and back.  For example, I just finished reading World War Z...for the eighth time.  And this is far from the only book I've done this with.  I'll bet I've read each Harry Potter book over a dozen times each, Guns of the South nearly 20, and Ready Player One approaching half a dozen.  In fact, I have a tendency to go back and re-read something I've really enjoyed more than I am to pick up something new.  Why is that?

I think it's because they're comfortable.  I know and love the characters, and I know I already like the story.  I also enjoy finding nuggets I missed the first time or five, so it's like something (slightly) new each time.  Am I the weird one, or are there any other weirdos out there who do something similar?  Remember, this isn't a movie that only takes up two and a half hours of your life - a book is a major commitment of time.  Is that reassuring or disturbing?

No comments:

Post a Comment