Thursday, September 5, 2019

IN YOUR FACE Styles

How breathless and in-your-face do you like a story to be?  I like to be kind of a passive third person observer who is being told the tale by someone who sounds like Morgan Freeman.  However, some folks prefer BREATHLESS stories where the author GETS IN YOUR FACE!  Brian Lumley and Dean Koontz fall into these categories for me, and I have difficulty reading them as a result.

Basically, such books are exhausting.  My feeling is that I'm expected to be on edge all the time.  My personality just isn't suited for that.  I feel like the constant musical score of the book is "DUM DUM DUM!!!"  I feel the urge to push back, and it never sits well with me.

At the same time, I understand how some people don't like the relaxed way of telling stories sometimes because they don't feel the drama, at least not as up front.  I like to infer the drama and get it occasionally, but some folks want to get it all the time.  How do you react to such a style?  Does it draw you in or push you away?

No comments:

Post a Comment