Sunday, June 28, 2020

Writing Fonts


I’ve recently been wondering which fonts people read best(I know, I know…nerd-writer stuff).  I prefer to write in Arial for some reason, even thought Times New Roman or Calibri seems to be a better default font.  Someone I once admired took most of his internet stories and published them in Verdana in order to give his book a more “websitey” feel, although he later regretted doing that.  As I’m in the middle of getting Schism ready to go to market, it got me thinking about my own choices in fonts.

I rarely change up fonts, although I do change up font sizes.  I write in 10, but I publish in 12, mostly because I realize people don’t like to squint when they read.  But, again, I tend to stick with Arial.  I’m not real sure why other than the fact that it’s a pretty smooth flowing font that allows the reader to take his or her time, and it’s not overly gaudy.  But is it a distraction?  I don’t know.

I’m going to stick with Arial for two reasons – 1) I’m used to it, and 2) I can’t please everyone.  So why try?  I may reconsider if enough people tell me they have challenges reading what I’ve written, but I have yet to hear a peep, so am I just overthinking the impact?

No comments:

Post a Comment