Sunday, June 7, 2020

Connecting In An Age Of Coronavirus


One of the best memories I have of the publication of Akeldama was the book signing I did at Park Road Shopping Center.  It wasn’t packed, but folks came out to talk and get me to sign their books.  All in all, I had a blast, as not only did many of my friends come out to see me, but I got to meet new people I’d never met.

Unfortunately, times have changed.  In the age of Coronavirus, how do we get out to meet fans.  I enjoy blogging and responding to the (few) comments I get, but that doesn’t match the feeling of meeting face to face and chatting.  So much gets lost, from facial expressions to body language, that gauging enthusiasm is challenging.  Moreover, talking to a reader face to face can also generate enthusiasm and get more people interested(how do you think I built my initial mailing list?).

Now, however, most bookstores are closed, or limiting capacity severely.  Writers are only seeing faces through masks, and we have to stay at least six feet apart.  No more handshakes, no more hugs, no more fist bumps.  It makes connection with an audience difficult in a business where establishing a connection is already hard.

I hope we come through this soon.  I’m not totally altruistic – I want to be able to connect so I can sell – but I enjoy the connection with even a single reader.  Are those days behind us?

No comments:

Post a Comment