Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Stream Of Consciousness

My novels are thoroughly thought out.  I think about what I want to write about, outline the ideas into something I can use, and take an enormous amount of time crafting that story.  They're fun and show the effort necessary for someone to want to buy and read them.

Blogging, on the other hand, is different because it's usually little more than a stream of consciousness.  Yes, as mentioned in my last post, I come up with the ideas regarding what I want to talk about, but that's where the similarities to my novels end.  I don't outline my blog posts; I just write them.  I sit down, look at my topic, and start blogging away.  In fact, I'm doing that right now.

The stream of consciousness is easier in the way that I'm just plowing ahead into the great unknown.  However, that can also lead to a blog post that spins wildly out of control and loses focus.  I will go off onto various tangents, only to have to go back and erase large sections because it wasn't related to the topic at hand.

So is there benefit to stream of consciousness blogging?  I'd say yes, but mostly to me.  Yes, the audience gets to see me at my most raw, so perhaps they can have better insight into what makes me tick and how my stories are crafted, but it's mostly about my vomiting all of my thoughts onto the page.  I don't have to think too deeply and can write usually just what comes randomly traipsing into my brain.

It can meander(like now), but it helps me understand my own thoughts.  I can go back later and figure out patterns that can be useful in novel writing down the road.  It also helps keep the audience engaged(both of you) and knowing I haven't forgotten about them.  They see me at my most pure, which can be sometimes good and sometimes bad.  Whatever it is, they see me, not some façade.

No comments:

Post a Comment