Sunday, July 27, 2014

Picking Up Steam?

I had to go out on a business venture for the past two weeks, which kept me from checking on this blog(I scheduled several posts in advance).  I checked back in yesterday and confirmed my suspicions.

I thought I was noticing an uptick in blog traffic over the last couple of months, but I was never certain(mostly because I was too lazy to keep track of the number of hits I was getting each week).  Therefore, since I knew I couldn't look at my site counter in the last little bit, I finally wrote down the number of total hits my site had before I left - 26367.  Imagine my surprise when I opened up this morning and discovered it at 27350!

Now this site might not have the page views of someone like JA Konrath, Hugh Howey, or Sarah Hoyt, but it has been averaging between 400 and 500 hits a week for the last few months, and that's a big deal to me since I was thrilled to be getting a dozen hits a week when the site first began.  And I think I could do more if I had the time to promote it even further.

That's something I need to get back into.  I used to use the Writers' Digest Forum, but it went dark a while back.  I've got a link to the new one, but I have yet to engage(two young children and my job keep me pretty busy).  I try to post on sites like The Passive Voice when I can, as well as sites that allow Comment Luv so that my blog post titles are in my comment, but it seems to get crazy sometimes when it's midnight and I still haven't been able to break away.  Don't get me wrong - I don't post unless I have something to say, but sites like these encourage commenting since they allow your site or post title to be seen as well.

Anyway, this post is not about how I've failed to promote enough, but rather how this site has gotten more traffic.  I'm gratified that more people have decided to tune in, and I wish I knew how it happened(so I could duplicate it), but I haven't got the first damn clue.  Is longevity of presence enough to have contributed, or are others drawing in their friends?  Whatever the reason, I'm heartened that more people are giving me a chance.

Now if only I could get more people to comment...

No comments:

Post a Comment