Wednesday, February 9, 2022

You Won't Remember

 What madness is this?  Russ is posting two times this week?  Insanity!

Anyhoo...

Like most writers, I think about my stories quite a bit.  Some of what I think turns out to be terrible, but, on occasion, I have a burst of inspiration.  Dialogue, action, a bit of subtle character development - it sometimes comes forth in an angelic song that readers will lap up like a cat lapping up milk(which cats really shouldn't have).

The problem isn't these bits of brilliance, but capturing them at the right time.  You see, brilliance rarely occurs as I sit at my computer happily typing away on my latest novel.  Sure, that happens from time to time, but that's even more rare than the brilliance I speak of.  What usually happens is that it happens as I'm walking my dog...or stuck in traffic...or in the shower...

So what to do?  Something that I am not often good at - I need to write it down at the first available opportunity.  Yeah, I always tell myself I'll remember, but I don't.  Even if my memory was as sharp as it was when I was 20, I wouldn't be able to hold onto that level of detail, or even the ideas.  Smart writers put their brilliance down somewhere as soon as they can.  Maybe it's in a journal, an iPhone, or even just a scrap of paper you can hang onto for later, but you need to write it down.  You will not remember.  I promise.  I cannot tell you the number of times I've sat staring at a blank screen trying in vain to remember what I came up with just a day or two before.

Don't trust your memory.  Your memory is shit.  Write it down.  Always.

No comments:

Post a Comment