Thursday, March 9, 2023

Titles of Nobility

I almost named this “What the hell am I going to call my novel,” but that seemed a bit verbose for a blog post title.  Still, the question is valid – what kind of title can I use for my sci-fi/fantasy mashup?

Titles are always tricky.  They’re usually the last thing I come up with when writing.  I think I came up with Akeldama pretty early on, and one of my horrible, never-to-be-published novels got a title from the beginning, but the rest have come either halfway through or at the end.  Salvation Day even got its title after my wife read the whole thing all the way through.

A title needs to cover the theme of the novel enough to draw in the reader, but not give away too much.  This novel, about a group of humans traveling through a wormhole and finding a fantasy world of magic, is so wide-ranging that getting something to encompass it may be the most challenging yet.  From dragons to spaceships to demons to particle physics to political intrigue what blends those together in a way that makes readers want to find out more?

No comments:

Post a Comment