Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Sensitive Writers

I dunno...maybe I'm just different.  However, I've come across numerous writers recently who seem to have egos of crystal whereby a poor review will shatter that ego and send the into a corner, curled into the fetal position and crying into their latte.  Some have tried engaging with individual reviewers on Amazon, while others are mad when someone tags them in a review that wasn't 5-stars and roses on Twitter.  I just don't get it.

Let's first stipulate that Twitter is a sewer.  Most people looking to be angry, bitter, or just mean, mostly because they're not allowed to be so so openly in real life, go on Twitter.  People will say the vilest things they'd never say to your face, but the anonymity of a keyboard lets them get away with trash that would get them punched in the real world.

That said, if you don't like how mean Twitter, or any other social media platform for that matter, is, then don't go on Twitter.  I know, I know...we need social media nowadays to promote our work, but just do that and ignore the comments.  Not everyone is going to like you, and some will say so in the most disgusting ways possible.  But you have to learn to shrug that stuff off and even laugh about it.  I recently had someone try and make a snide remark about my wife.  Did I yell and scream about how uncivilized that person was?  No.  I laughed at the person's stupidity and obvious insecurity at having to try to shove their bitterness onto others.  This person doesn't know me or my wife, so why should I care what they think?

When you read reviews, you need to detach yourself and read them constructively.  Sure, easier said than done for some people, but still a skill you must master if you want to not go insane over the hatred in the world.  Does the reviewer say something that clicks with you?  Is there a trend of people saying the same basic thing about your work?  If so, give it a closer look.  If it's some one-off crackpot, who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment