Sunday, October 3, 2021

Quirky Corrections

No shock – I can be quirky.  I don’t know a single writer that doesn’t have his or her share of quirks.  Some folks can only write in the morning.  Some need to have a red flower in a cup of water on the desk.  Still others write in one font and publish in another.

My quirks tend to come from the way I correct my work.  First off, if I misspell a word, and I know I misspelled it, I have to correct it right then and there(fat finger typing, keyboard got stuck, etc).  And weirdly enough, I tend to go a letter or two beyond the place where the misspelling occurred, as if I’m punishing the letter prior for creating the screwup in the first place.

I also have to italicize or bold words I intend for that emphasis almost immediately.  If I don’t, then I get an itch in my brain I can’t scratch.  If I decide to change fonts to create mood, that too must be done immediately, or else I can’t get the tone of the words.

Parentheses must be done right next to the word(the pause is too long to me otherwise), and entire sentences must be erased if I got to the end and there was a mistake halfway through(I’m getting better at this one, but it’s hard to overcome).

What are your quirks?  We all have them, so don’t be ashamed.  Just let your freak flag fly!  :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment