Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Conclusion Length

How long should a conclusion be?  This is tricky, because the action and main plot should carry the story, but a story without a conclusion just trails off into nothing.  The audience, in fact, will wonder why they followed the whole story since they never got closure.  So a conclusion is necessary.  But how involved/long should it be?

My stories tend to wind down quickly.  Once the action is complete, there is little desire for me to keep telling a story I feel is mostly over.  Games end, wars conclude, and life goes on.  For me, it should be acknowledged but not harped on.  After all, is there anything more to develop?

Some writers spend whole chapters – page after page – on what they think is a satisfying conclusion.  They feel the need to tie up every loose end.  I, on the other hand, think this is wasted space.  I feel that the action is part of the conclusion.  When it’s over, that’s where interest dwindles.  Sure, there needs to be some wrap up – characters hug, treasure buys security, bad guys go to jail, etc – but I can’t seem to make myself care enough to continue it for long.  Even my longest novels, Schism and Salvation Day, have conclusions that last barely two or three pages.  It either sets up the next story, or it is meant to let everyone know it’s over.

How long do you like your conclusion to be?  Do you keep on with a story after the issue has been decided, needing some kind of closure, or do you start to skim, satisfied it’s over and you just want to finish and move on?

No comments:

Post a Comment