Thursday, September 8, 2016

Back In The Saddle Again!

Okay, I have some news.  This may not seem like a big deal to you guys, but it’s a big deal to me, and this is my blog, so I’m going to share it with you.

As I’ve mentioned before, I was out of the country for a good portion of the past year.  Although my environment wasn’t totally austere, there were still things I didn’t have access to, and Kindle updates was one of them.  Well, back in late February, Kindle sent me an email saying that a major update was on the way via the wireless, and I’d have to have it in order to buy and install new ebooks in my device.

Big problem.  I couldn’t get wireless.

Since I wasn’t downloading any Kindle books anyway, it wasn’t a big deal…at the time.  However, I knew I’d be returning to the United States at some point, and I enjoy ebooks since they don’t clutter up my house – I save buying hardcover books for the ones that really pique my interest – so I would have to get the update.  Unfortunately, they would no longer send it out via wireless after the end of March.

When I returned to America near the end of June, my Kindle sat on my table, staring up at me with a blank expression.  Supposedly there was a way to get the update off of the Amazon website, but I’m a technological Neanderthal, so figuring it out was like asking a German Shepard to do calculus.  I hemmed and hawed for a while, even going so far as to download the new update to my computer once…where I promptly forgot which folder it went into.

Still, after much head scratching and hours of feeling more than stupid, I finally hooked my device up to my computer, downloaded the update again, and transferred it to where it needed to go.  I tested it out and found I’d been successful!  One Year After by William Fortschen was out, and that was the one I really wanted.  It’s now awaiting a reading.

So, what was the point of that tale of woe?  No point – I simply wanted to express my glee at having my beloved Kindle operational again, as well as to thump my chest that I figured out one technological mystery.  Now if only I could figure out how to change my ringtone to what I want…

No comments:

Post a Comment